I feel extremely honored for getting nominated for Best Artist in Wood at the Academy of Handmade Award Show 2014. I was really blown away with the whole evening, it was such an amazing experience. Just when I thought things couldn't get any better they announced that I had won for the Best Artist in Wood category!
I felt like I was at the Oscars, they had rolled out the red carpet and everything. I was interviewed by Nichole Longstreath from the Wardrobe Code, just a few minutes before the awards announcements started. I'll admit I was little nervous, but I think I did ok.
It was nice to put down the sander and woodworking tools and get dressed up for the evening. I was definitely happy just to mingle with all the other super talented artist and crafters that attended the event.
And the Winner is…. Lindsay Zuelich of Wood Brian. I really wasn't prepared to give a speech, but I winged it. I'd like to thank the Academy...
I can't say it enough, I'm so honored to win this award. It's really given me a boost and now I want to take my business to the next level. I've really learned a lot about running my small business in the last three years and I'm so thankful for the help and support that I've received from all the crafters that I've met along the way. The award itself is in fact hand made, embrodiored and it came with a jammed packed goodie bag. I'm really looking forward to hanging up my award in my shop, can't wait!
The Academy of Handmade Artists and Supporters are such talented and giving individuals. They have created a community of artist and crafters that is just unparalleled. If you are thinking about getting involved and want to become a member its definite worth it! START APPLICATION PROCESS HERE
I'm already looking forward to the Academy of Handmade Awards Show 2015.
Membership is open to anyone who is professionally involved in the handmade economy, either as an artist or supporter (more than a fan, but someone who is a resource to make handmade business possible). Because the Academy exists to strengthen handmade businesses, hobbyists, fans, consumers, fine artists and designers who do not handmake are not permitted to join but are encouraged to participate in events and activities open to non-members. When we say "handmade," we primarily think of those arts which have typically been considered "craft" vs. art or design. Your hands should touch what you make or your business should support others who do (such as a graphic designer).
Wondering what your membership dues get you? Here is a partial list:
MENTORSHIP FROM ACADEMY OF HANDMADE SENIOR MEMBERS
ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENT THROUGH THE EXCLUSIVE FACEBOOK GROUP
LOCAL GUIDES WHERE MEMBERS CAN LIST WHERE THEY ARE SOLD AND WHAT THEY SELL (COMING IN LATE 2014)
MEMBER RESOURCE DIRECTORY LISTING THE AREAS OF EXPERTISE OF EACH MEMBER FOR OTHER MEMBERS TO CALL ON WHEN THEY HAVE QUESTIONS (COMING IN SUMMER 2014)
MEMBERSHIP BADGE THAT CAN BE DISPLAYED ON YOUR DIGITAL MEDIA OUTLETS AND A FABRIC BADGE THAT YOU CAN DECORATE AND USE IT IN YOUR STOREFRONT, SHOW TABLE OR HOWEVER YOU'D LIKE!
DISCOUNTED TICKET AND PRIORITY INVITE TO THE AHAS AWARDS CEREMONY
FREE NOMINATIONS FOR AND EXCLUSIVE ABILITY TO VOTE FOR THE AHAS AWARDS
20% DISCOUNT TO SIGNATURE NEXT LEVEL BUSINESS WORKSHOP
EXCLUSIVE INVITES FOR YOU AND UP TO TWO FRIENDS TO SELECT NETWORKING EVENTS
DISCOUNTS TO ALL ACADEMY OF HANDMADE EVENTS
ABILITY TO APPLY FOR GRANTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
ANNUAL MEMBERS MEETING LETS YOU GIVE INPUT ON ORGANIZATION DIRECTION (MEMBERS OUTSIDE OF IMMEDIATE AREA CAN ALSO "VIRTUALLY" ATTEND).
PROMOTION AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ON THE ACADEMY OF HANDMADE MEMBERS PAGE
ADVOCACY FOR HANDMADE BUSINESS CAUSES INCLUDING COMMUNITY AWARENESS AND POLICY ISSUES (SUCH AS HEALTHCARE AND BUSINESS REGULATIONS)
SATISFACTION FROM KNOWING YOUR DUES ARE GOING TO ACTIVITIES THAT CELEBRATE, SUPPORT AND CONNECT THE HANDMADE COMMUNITY
The membership application involves the following steps and can take 3-4 weeks to process your membership depending on the season.
- Application Fee and Membership Dues: You will be required to first pay your non-refundable application fee ($10) and your membership dues ($75) which will be refunded if you are not admitted into the Academy.
- Application Submission: Please fill out the application form giving as much detail as possible. This will help us in deciding if you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Acceptance: Congratulations! You are now officially a member of the Academy of Handmade Artists and Supporters and may enjoy all of its privileges as well as the responsibility to celebrate, strengthen and connect with the handmade business community.
- Non-Acceptance: If you do not meet the eligibility requirements, you will receive a notice telling you why. If you feel there has been confusion and/or error in the decision you may petition the academy. Further details will be given at the time of non-acceptance.
We are strictly a community of professionals who make things with our hands or directly support those who do through a business endeavor. In order to apply for membership, you must be able to qualify in one of the following categories.
Artist: Anyone who sells what they hand make in the following categories:
- Textiles (wovens)
- Textiles (non-wovens)
- Textiles (needlework)
- Bath/Body Care
- Stone (precious, semi-precious, minerals, crystals, etc.)
- Living Medium (plants, flowers, etc.)
Supporter: Anyone who supports the business of handmade through any of the following:
- Blogging (not just tutorials, but includes handmade business topics)
- Craft Show (owner or employee)
- Craft Business Support (the business should demonstrate that it primarily deals with makers and/or have unique business concepts that would primarily apply to makers)
- Craft Center/Museum (owner or employee)
START APPLICATION PROCESS (Please note, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable application fee of $10, so please read over the membership categories clearly as your $10 will not be refunded if you do not qualify)